Ahh…here it comes…sunshiny Summery days!
Love the Summer…Summer…Summertime! I have so many memories from being outside on my bike as a kid, playing hide-n-seek until the street lights came on, to high school parties on the beach and feeling the freedom of riding my motorcycle on a sunny day. There’s too many to list here but another one that comes to mind is cookouts! Mmmm…just writing about it brings the smoky scent of the charcoal grill and the mouth-watering flavor of an ice cold beer flooding towards me! Cookouts are a ton of fun yet they can also wreak serious havoc on our health and our desire of having that lean mean physique! Does that mean we have to forgo the cookout completely? Absolutely not! Here are some of my tips for enjoying those seasonal cookouts while also enjoying a smokin’ hot bod:
• Replace those hamburgers and hotdogs with leaner choices such as:
boneless skinless chicken breast
shrimp or scallops
lean beef tenderloins
lean ground turkey
lean ground bison
• Grill chicken breast, fresh fish, and beef tenderloins whole or cut into chunks and make kebobs.
• Experiment with different spices to make a flavorful rub for your protein choice.
• Cut up fresh vegetables, such as portabello mushrooms, onions, peppers, tomatoes and toss with spices and lemon juice, place in grilling basket and grill to desired tenderness.
• Eliminate the creamy salads made with mayo or creamy dressings and replace with homemade vinaigrette (mix extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and fresh herbs and spices).
• Replace the bowl of chips and dip with fresh cut veggies. Serve with a dip made with plain Greek yogurt mixed with fresh herbs and spices. Hummus is another great dipping choice.
• Instead of alcohol, serve ice cold water and experiment with some of these great natural flavor additions: lemon, lime, raspberries, watermelon, fresh mint or basil.
Remember, a healthy lifestyle doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy delicious food! It’s all about experimenting and trying new things! Not only with you look good but you’ll FEEL AMAZING! Cheers!
Follow Body.Mind.Potential on: